You can’t fix something if you don’t even know it’s broken. If your business is losing money and you don’t know where, a website conversion audit is just what you need!
We’ll identify the drop-offs in your conversion funnel and find out why users aren’t converting. Our CRO audits include in-depth research on web analytics & user behaviour that lay the foundation for website improvements and revenue growth.
Get a better read on your users with our comprehensive and data-driven CRO audit
Understand where the problems lie
Find out where are visitors landing and exiting your website. Identify the drop-off points as well as the technical issues on your website.
Identify the causes why this is happening
Tap into your users' minds and learn more about their motivations, doubts and anxieties. Learn what's causing friction and what's stimulating them to convert.
Learn how to fix the issues discovered
Learn what you can change on your website in order to persuade more visitors to turn into customers. Fix the ruptures in your funnel, lay back and see how your business grows!
Our approach to creating an insightful & in-depth CRO audit
Our CRO audit will help you get answers to these three key-questions. Through extensive research we will be able to shed a light on the reasons why users are not converting and to come up with prompt and effective treatment options. The results? More conversions with less ad spend, more sales and higher revenue.
In the first part of your CRO audit we’ll be going through some of the most important reports in Google Analytics and define user behaviour. However, before anything else we need to make sure that your GA account is configured properly. We’ll perform a health check to assess if Analytics is correctly collecting and reporting data.
Once we make sure that all the metrics are being tracked properly and the data is reported back in Analytics, we’ll analyze the key-metrics:
- Demographics will help us define your target audience based on age, gender and location.
- User behaviour report lets us know how your traffic is split between new and returning users. We’ll be able to see which one of these segments converts better and has a major contribution to your total revenue.
- Device segmentation allows us to break down users into three major categories: mobile users, desktop users and tablet users.
- Browser, OS and Screen Resolutions reports help us identify technical errors, bugs and other issues related to the way your website is being displayed in various browsers, operating systems and screen resolutions. If not detected in time and solved, technical issues can cause serious damage to your overall conversion rate.
- Speed Analysis is critical to your website’s performance and implicitly to your conversion rate. Nowadays, is a web page is loading in more than 2 seconds on mobile, you got a red flag!
- Traffic Sources report is critical. Finding out what segments of users convert better will help you adjust your ad spend and better manage your marketing budget. For instance, if you invest a lot of money into Facebook ads, but then you discover that most of your visitors arrive from organic sources and they convert better – it’s time to cut down costs on Facebook ads and start implementing a SEO strategy.
- Top Landing Pages. Learn what are the main entry points on your website and see if users are engaged and converting. Low engagement metrics and conversion rate tells us that it’s time to start the optimization process.
- Creating a Conversion Funnel is the last step in the Analytics part of the CRO audit. We build conversion funnels by starting from the top landing pages and going through every page visited up until the ‘Thank You’ page. We’ll be able to identify the major drop-off points (the pages that receive a lot of traffic, but drive few conversions). We now know what’s not working and, more importantly, on what pages.
We’ve figured out what segments of users are not converting and what pages need optimization. Now we need to find out why. Using qualitative research methods, we’ll be able to gain a better understanding of user behaviour, discovering what motivates users to take action, as well as what holds them back.
Here are the qualitative research methods we use:
- Heatmaps are visual representations of data. Click maps, scroll maps and movement maps help us visualize user behaviour. What visitors want and what they care about is represented by their clicks, taps and scrolling behaviour.
- Session Recordings offer great insight into users’ minds. It shows us the exact way in which a visitor navigates your website. They can point out larger interaction issues or bugs in the conversion funnel. It’s a great way of seeing users’ understanding of the website.
- Site Polls should be launched on pages that show high abandonment rates. For instance, if the conversion rate is low on the product page, simply launch a site poll and ask visitors what is preventing them from adding the product to the cart. It’s a quick and efficient way of obtaining honest feedback directly from users.
- Sending out Customer Surveys is a great way of getting to know your customers and learning more about their shopping experience, as well as their personal experience with your product/service. You’ll find out what they like about your product, why they chose you and not your competitors, and how your product manages to improve their lives. You can also learn details about their shopping experience: what went wrong (if anything) when trying to place the order, what do they particularly like about your website, if they have any improvement suggestions etc.
- Live Chat Transcripts are a gold mine! These chats work exactly like a customer survey and you will be able to pinpoint what main issues or doubts bother your users and prevent them from converting.
- User Testing is a way to see first-hand how users interact with your website. We’ll need around 5-10 test subjects and we will ask them to complete key-actions on the site, following a set of instructions. Their comments and feedback will be full of insights and value.
After having conducted extensive research we managed to identify the ruptures in the conversion funnel, as well as the reasons behind user abandonment. Now it’s time to come up with strong testing hypotheses that are backed up by research and data. These hypotheses will lay the foundation for developing and implementing a successful A/B testing program.
What is a testing hypothesis?
In conversion rate optimization, a testing hypothesis is basically a prediction you make prior to running an experiment. You need to clearly state what is being changed what you believe the outcome will be. Only the results of the experiment will validate or not your testing hypothesis.
Briefly put, an A/B test hypothesis can be phrased like this: ‘By doing X, Y will happen.’ Needless to say, you should always start by explaining your process. How did you come up with this idea? What parts of your research can back up this hypothesis? Why do you think this will work?
The final part in our CRO process is filled with data-driven testing hypotheses. We explain the reasoning behind the testing idea, write the hypothesis and we also create mockups. All this information helps our clients clearly understand what elements we’re trying to change, on what pages and how we hope these changes will affect (improve) the shopping experience, driving more conversions.
Our Favourite Tools
Ontrack Digital has done an amazing job on our CRO. They’ve ran multiple tests and improved our conversion rates. Communication is easy and their reporting is SUPER detailed! This service is a “MUST” if you’re looking to squeeze as much revenue out of your visitors as possible.
We contracted Ontrack for a one-off audit on our web visitor journey. When the team went over the audit and identified areas of improvement, we immediately felt that we spoke the same language, and the Ontrack team had the deeper knowledge and experience that we missed. We’re now almost a year later and still hooked. Andra and her team have been consistently helping us identify, test and implement changes that have had a direct impact on our conversion rates.
Great work! Will definitely keep working on conversion rate projects in the future. Wonderful results achieved.
Andra and the team have been such a delight to work with. Not only have they been able to improve website performance for several of our clients , communication, execution and visibility on all projects has been extremely thorough. At every stage of the process, our team and clients have felt ultimately supported and provided with detailed reports, action items and updates. If you’re after a badass CRO team who ACTUALLY know what they are doing and do it well – hire these guys.
Very professional, with a great attitude toward the client and it was a pleasure dealing with.
We received a total audit of our site. After implementing everything we definitely saw a step jump in conversion. Truly insightful professionals.